It is very easy to tell who is local in Singapore and who are Expats.
This is a local or as I like to call them LOCO LOCALS. Seriously, this picture was taken at Universal Studios on a Sunday afternoon. One would have to be crazy to walk around an amusement park all day in that get up. I know most of you who read this blog have not been to Singapore but this is very typical dress no matter where you are or what you are doing...ie walking your dog, strolling the shops or markets, touring the zoo. You get the picture.
2. Long perfectly groomed hair. Seriously, why is it not in a pony!
3. 10 inch heels...did I mention this is at Universal Studios? Lots of walking about outside in the sweltering heat.
4. Pushing a double pram AKA stroller for you westerners, with a fashionable tote slung over her shoulder. I forgot to mention that the pram has only 1 kid in it so there is LOTS of storage space for the tote but yet her outfit would not be complete if the bag were not on her shoulder.
5. Her face is hidden as I am trying to protect her identity but she had full make up on.
Here is an Expat...
2. tennis shoes for all the walking...check
3. white t shirt with sleeves pushed up and shorts because it is super hot...check
4. canvas tote...check
5. big sun glasses to hide the fact there is not a drop of makeup on my face...check
I will say the local looks 100 times better but I survived the day in comfort. Lets face it I did not go to Universal Studios to walk the runway. I went to cart 3 kids around in the hot Singapore sun so we could check it off our list of things to do while in Singapore.
Maybe if I stay here long enough I will start strutting around in 5 inch heels and full make up on everyday...not likely but you never know.